Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Americana

In honor of Thanksgiving last Thursday, we had a little American adventure for P.E. last week. Usually I go for the soothing, non-contact options when I'm teaching P.E.- especially since my experience with 'Chase the Teacher' with KG1 in my first year. Mistake. Involved a lot of blood and nurse's visits. We frequently partake of yoga, hula hooping, obstacle races and the like. Last week I thought I'd give something a little more traditional a try. So, though my hand-eye coordination ranks alongside that of a blindfolded penguin and my own gym class experiences range from mildly traumatic to soul excoriating levels, I thought I might try a little sporting action with the boys while the girls were at swimming.

Considering I have twenty boys in my class, I thought baseball would be the perfect sport to try. This also considers that baseball is the only sport I understand the rules of and don't overly fear resulting traumatic spinal injuries in children.

[After they have 'warmed up' by walking, marching, skipping, and tiptoeing around the cushioned play area]

Me: Today I will teach you a new game. It's very fun and it's a game we play in my country.
[Excited glances and whispers dart up and down the line]
Me: Who knows what baseball is? Has anyone seen baseball on TV? Have you heard of baseball?
[Two or three hands go up, tentatively. Probably the same hands that would go up if I asked, 'Who knows who is the Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan?']
Me: Ok. Who knows cricket? (Immediately 12 hands shoot up) Good. It's like cricket! I will show you.

Honestly, once they had the cricket reference, I barely needed to show them anything. (Probably better really). Mark my words, MLB, I have discovered an ore of untapped baseball talent. Dodgers short on fielders? Head to Karachi. Cubs need pitchers? Look into Colombo's classrooms. These kids had serious talent. Beaned it out of the enclosed areas and had the ball knocking off KG2 doors all around us. Every time. I figured I'd have to let them hit four or five times each....most of them hit the ball on the second swing. They loved it and can't wait to play next week at P.E. now; as one little one told me,
"Thish baysheball berry nishe!!!"

From the mouths of babes.

1 comment: