Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (and National Day)

For those of you who didn't know I'm going to Ireland for Christmas- in 3 days! To be honest, I can't wait to get out of Doha for a little while. I like it here but I'm in a festive mood and Doha's Christmas celebrations leave much to be desired. Even my students asked me last week, "Miss, we will decorate for Christmas in the class??" Sadly, no small ones. Papa Noel is not allowed, even though 75 % of them have told me about their Christmas parties/invited me to them/want to decorate. I think we'll make some Frosty's next week- he's nice and non religious. I am a little nervous for the whole meet-the-extended-Irish-family-including-thirty four aunts and uncles-a hundred and forty-seven cousins-grandparents-whole village-Christmas celebrations but I'm sure I'll survive without too many psychic scars.

One thing Doha does do festively though is National Day. If you recall my post from last year, you will remember that glitter, cars with children protruding from rooftops,
enormous national flags, and impromptu street dancing are all involved. National Day is today- and last night Blaine and I walked along the Corniche Road and fortunately saw all of these things again. I have lots of pictures -Here's a few and I'll put the rest on Facebook if you're interested. It's such a strange display- it's a lot like the Fourth of July (my favorite holiday) except on speed because everyone is loaded and gas only costs a nickel anyway.




Reason number 527 I need a vacation:
"Misssssss!Iloveyoutoomuch!CanIgotothetoilet?!YouknowmyfatherisinAffffffffrica?!"
"Omar! Do you know why you're on the sad face list?"
"For talking, Miss!"
"That's right, Omar. So what do you think you should do?"
"Stop talking, Miss!"
"That's right, Omar."
"Okay. Okay, Miss."
[Twenty five seconds later]
"Missssssssssss! I love you toooo much! CanIgotothetoilet?IcanNOTwait!"

Every. Day.

1 comment: